Accommodating cultural diversity

According to Gay (2002), “In different cultural groups there are unique roles of the speaker and listener when communicating.

For example, some African-Americans use a call-response method of communicating; Native-Hawaiians use a method called talk-story.” By understanding different communication patterns across cultures, teachers can better accommodate to this and other forms of learner differences (Gay, 2002). Strategies for teaching culturally diverse students.

An additional key issue when accommodating for cultural diversity in the classroom is the inaccurate idea that classroom subjects, such as math and science, are incompatible with cultural diversity.

Numerous studies have been conducted on the topic of student diversity in the classroom.

Noguera (1999) contends that “the arrival of new groups, especially racial minorities, often leads to racial conflict and the venting of various kinds of prejudice and intolerance. Teaching strategies for students with diverse learning needs.

The cultural differences of children are equated with cultural inferiority, and not surprisingly, children from these groups are more likely to do poorly in school, get into trouble, or drop out.

Michal Kurlaender and John Yun (2002) conducted a survey-based research study on students at Harvard University, where only 31 percent of the student population is Caucasian and the remaining 69 percent is of various ethnic and national backgrounds.

Based on the student survey results, Kurlaender and Yun reported that students benefited from cultural diversity at the university because the students developed a greater sense of comfort around students of different races and ethnic groups and their different perspectives (Kurlaender & Yun, 2002, p. Research by Gutierrez (1992), Tharp and Gallimore (1988), Tharp and Yamauchi (1991), Phillips (1983), and Villegas (1991) (as cited in Chisholm, 1998) indicates that teaching students to value their language and culture leads to increased academic performance.

Search for accommodating cultural diversity:

accommodating cultural diversity-12

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

One thought on “accommodating cultural diversity”